The Builders Merchants Federation (BMF) has nominated Band of Builders as its charity partner for 2022. Band of Builders provides practical assistance to support members of the construction industry and their families who are faced with life changing or limiting circumstances.
Founded in 2016, fuelled by one man’s desire to help a friend in his hour of need, it has become a national charity run by and for those working in the building industry, whether as a tradesperson or a merchant. Over the last five years Band of Builders has completed projects in England, Scotland and Wales and will undertake its first in Northern Ireland early in 2022. In addition, the charity’s latest Big Brew campaign will both raise awareness and fund a new range of mental health support services for supply chain companies, small businesses and the self-employed.
Gavin Crane, chair of the board of trustees for Band of Builders said: “We are truly excited to announce this partnership with the BMF, particularly as our Big Brew Mental Health campaign launches in October, adding another dimension to our support for the industry.”
John Newcomb, BMF CEO said: “We are delighted to support Band of Builders as our charity partner for the coming year. Since its formation it has shown how much can be achieved when people unite to help others. Their ethos, summed up by the charity’s strapline ‘Together Stronger’, is very similar to that of the BMF. After the challenges we have all faced over the past 18 months, we are looking forward to fund-raising with our members to support the work of Band of Builders.”
The Builders Merchants Federation Ltd (BMF) is the only trade association that represents and protects the interests of builders’ merchants and suppliers to the building materials industry in the UK and Ireland. Total membership from 1 September 2021 will stand at 770 merchant and supplier companies who together have combined sales of over £39bn and employ over 207,000 people in the building materials industry. BMF’s 395 merchant members operate from over 5,750 branches across the UK and Ireland.
ABOUT BAND OF BUILDERS
Initially formed in 2016, Band of Builders is a registered charity (Charity Number 1182283) that helps members of the UK construction industry battling illness or injury through the completion of practical projects. For each project, volunteers come together to help their fellow tradespeople through renovations or repairs that make a real difference to their lives. Band of Builders also offers a supportive community for members of the construction industry, including initiatives such as the Big Brew mental health campaign.
Previous projects have included:
- Revamping the home of chartered surveyor Rob Lamb in Solihull to make it safe and accessible after he was left paralysed in a fall.
- Installing a specialised bathroom for Pippa Atkinson, an electrician’s daughter suffering from a rare skin condition
- Landscaping a garden for builder Jamie Thompson, who is suffering from Motor Neurone Disease, so he can safely watch his children play, as well as installing a new kitchen.
- Finishing renovations at the home of Elaine Dunphy, whose husband Steve died of cancer before he could finish the work he had started.
- Creating a bedroom for plasterer’s daughter Sadie Jenkins, who had spent the first half of her life in hospital and needed machines to breathe, as well as installing a downstairs bathroom for her carers.
For more information on how to become a member or how to apply for help from Band of Builders, visit www.bandofbuilders.org
Press contact for BMF Trade PR:
Alison Parkes : firstname.lastname@example.org : 07802 939866